Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker

This is the fourth book in a series--or rather, the first book of the second trilogy in a trilogy of trilogies. I've been reading The Saga of The Three Seas since summer and have one book to go before I'm caught up.

First, about the series. I highly recommend The Saga of The Three Seas. It's elegantly written, brilliantly creative, philosophical, and scratches my itch for fantasy in all the right ways. On the downside, it's also incredibly dense in places with a slow pace, and for the first three books there are very few relatable characters. That's why it's taken me so long to slog through them. Many of the scenes are dry traveling and battle scenes or discussions of interesting (but hard to understand) ideas. I wanted to like it because of how beautiful and creative it was, but honestly I was having a hard time with it.

Enter The Judging Eye! While the other books took months to get through, this one took days. The story resumes after a twenty-year gap in the narrative, picking up with the children of the main characters while learning what has happened since the last book ended. Usually, I don't like such long gaps in fiction, but it completely works here. The story was now fresh, new, relatable and exciting--while still being elegant and philosophically fascinating as always. Insane children, mysterious non-men, and even--gasp!--a sign of dragons near the end. Not only that, but the entire rest of the series makes much more sense in retrospect. Maybe it was dense, but it was totally worth the read in the end, and I am looking forward to getting my hands on the next book! Five stars!

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment