Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Willows of Fate by Susanna J. Linton

This cross between high and modern fantasy takes a young woman from rural South Carolina and puts her in the middle of a medieval fantasy conflict--a fascinating premise that I felt could easily bring in some fun reading and a witty but charming new story. Willows of Fate is book one in Linton's Lands of Sun and Stone series about two worlds--ours and a fantasy world that was forcefully split from ours ages ago.

This book covers the adventures of Desdemona, a recovering alcoholic who has had visions of fantasy creatures since her childhood but who is now trying to move on with her life as a lawyer. After her mother, brother and aunt all die in quick succession, Desdemona discovers a dark family secret that leads her "through the willows" to a fantasy land where she literally holds the key to a growing conflict.

Willows of Fate did have a fun story, with mostly believable characters and a quick draw to it. I read through it pretty quickly and enjoyed a lot of the creative atmosphere, but I'm not sure if I'll go on to the other books in the series. I very much respect and appreciate the cast of personalities, but I didn't really feel drawn to any of them. I also wanted to know more of what was going on with the South Carolina life Desdemona left behind (with a handsome young man and ongoing mystery that was, to be honest, at least as interesting as the fantasy world). There was also a share of mystery that was never fully revealed, like a hooded stranger in the beginning or a centaur who appeared at her mother's funeral.

Rating this book is difficult because I enjoyed it but there was a lot that I felt it didn't fully cover. But I'll go on the high side and say that it's definitely worth the read for anyone looking for a fun, new fantasy world. Four stars!

****0

No comments:

Post a Comment